How your rehabilitation doctors in Novi, Livonia, and Howell, MI, can help you find relief from carpal tunnel
Do your fingers tingle, or do your hands feel numb? If so, don’t ignore it. These are both warning signs that you might have carpal tunnel syndrome. Your rehabilitation doctor knows just what to do for this troublesome condition.
The rehabilitation specialists at Rehabilitation Physicians provide a wide range of medical services, including treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome. They have three convenient office locations in Novi, Livonia, and Howell, MI, to help you.
The carpal tunnel is a narrow tunnel which your median nerve passes through. The median nerve is a large nerve in your hand which controls the nine tendons responsible for moving your fingers.
When you have carpal tunnel syndrome, it means that the median nerve is being compressed at your wrist, and your hand is not getting the proper amount of nerve function.
Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by:
- An injury to your wrist
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Repetitive motion injuries
Repetitive motion injuries often occur due to work and can be caused by:
- Computer keyboarding
- Using a cash register
- Grasping or clutching objects
You might have carpal tunnel if you experience:
- Tingling in your hand or fingers
- Loss of strength in your hand or arm
- Numbness in your hand or fingers
There are a few easy remedies you can try, including:
- Taking frequent breaks from hand-intensive activities
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Stretching and rotating your wrists
- Stretching your hands and fingers
For moderate to severe carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms, it’s best to seek out your rehabilitation doctor, who may recommend:
- Wearing a splint to keep the tunnel open to reduce pressure on the median nerve
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce swelling and pressure
- Making ergonomic adjustments to your equipment to ease symptoms
- Surgical therapy to release the carpal ligament
To find out more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, talk with the experts. Call the rehabilitation specialists at Rehabilitation Physicians. You can reach them in the Novi, Livonia, and Howell, MI, offices by calling (248) 893-3200, so call now.